The Franklin Method ®
Neuroplasticity | Training Our Habits
If you want to move with greater ease and efficiency, to better sense your body and gain improved coordination, then the Franklin Method® is for you. Designed by Eric Franklin in 1994, the workshops use education, dynamic imagery and a multitude of creative methods to improve our awareness and alignment while finding ways to develop new habits.
Although the concepts behind the Franklin Method® are highly science based, this method is very accessible. These workshops are open to all – no experience is required.
Watch a sample video of a Franklin Method technique.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Are the Franklin Method® workshops primarily to target injuries?
Not specifically, although as these workshops aim to improve function they can be extremely useful for an area that is prone to pain or injury. Aside from that, most of us can benefit from improving function anywhere in our body. We frequently don’t know that an area is performing sub-par until we improve it and have a comparison.
Can just one workshop make a difference?
Is it a workout?
If I’m already doing Pilates with a Franklin Method® certified instructor, will the workshops be helpful?
If it’s not strengthening anything, how can it be effective?
If we add a bit of an explanation it can help.
- Tapping “wakes up” sensory nerve endings and “lights up” the area of the brain associated with that region.
- A movement such as lifting an arm overhead requires an extremely complex sequence of muscle activation and release that we cannot possibly think through consciously.
- Increasing proprioception (awareness) automatically improves coordination and patterning as there is more feed back.
- It could also be said that tapping awakens the inherent intelligence of the nervous system.
- Often, even that much information is enough for us to accept it more readily.
What if I just can’t sense it?
“I’ve been practicing focusing on the motion of the diaphragm while breathing — even in a doctor’s waiting room today. This is a wonderful way to become more relaxed in a very stressful world. Thank you.”
“Our job is to care for people’s health, not just work them out. I feel this is a really valuable method and I got more tools than from any other certification I have ever taken. This really added to my skills and I appreciate where Laura is taking Pilates.”